On the evening of November 9, 1946,
Margaret Hawkins and
Sarah Scott, two young Philadelphia matrons, invited
seven of their friends to join them in organizing a new type of inter-city
club. This organizing meeting of The Links was not a spontaneous action.
In 1945, Link Hawkins had conceived the idea of a group of clubs composed
of friends along the eastern seaboard and had spent many hours with Link
Scott in thinking, planning and discussing the possibilities of such an
The two women envisioned an organization that
would respond to the needs and aspirations of Black women in ways that existing
clubs did not. It was their intent the club would have a threefold aim--civic,
educational, and cultural. Based on these aims, the club would implement
programs, which its founders hoped would foster cultural appreciation through
the arts; develop richer inter-group relations; and help women who participated
to understand and accept their social and civic responsibilities.
Besides the two founders, the original members of the Philadelphia Club were Links Frances Atkinson, Katie Green, Marion Minton, Lillian Stanford, Myrtle Manigault Stratton, Lillian Wall, and Dorothy Wright. The club elected Margaret Hawkins as president, Sarah Scott as vice president, Myrtle Manigault Stratton as recording secretary, Frances Atkinson as corresponding secretary, and Dorothy Wright as treasurer.
|Myrtie Manigault Stratton|